I'm in the process of cleaning off my desk and I came across a paper I wrote a few months ago on a random whim describing myself in third person. At the time, I thought "People tend to write about their own lives all the time, but what if someone wrote about my life? I wonder what they'd say?" So - Instead of being my humble self, I wrote what I honestly felt and tried not to edit myself. It's a very short (and very rough) draft, but I thought it'd be fun to share... and extend a challenge to anyone who reads this to try it. It's interesting what you come up with.
"Long slender fingers showing wear of a working man with a feminine touch. He could accomplish miracles with those hands - not on a large scale, but more everyday ones that most take for granted. And he never did take it for granted. His skill was an art and he considered it a gift from a higher source - and he was determined to make the most of it.
He used to doubt himself in the most peculiar way. He considered accomplishments were chance and never allowed himself to be happy. In fact, he denied it, thinking somehow a lack of joy would compensate in the end. Because it was what he once believed. No - because it was what he once was told to believe.
He tends to ponder at great lengths how the minds of humanity must work - and seeks to justify in his own mind why people think and act the way they do. He may never fully understand, but constantly aims to try."
Monday, January 5, 2009
Third Person
Posted by Nik at 6:04 PM
Labels: Ideas, third person
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Wow. I love it. I will take you up on your challenge, but probably in the next couple of weeks. I'm excited to see how it comes out.
Still sounds pretty humble to me. It's an interesting idea, trying to write objectively about a subject so innately subjective. Well done, although I suspect that an outsider would sing higher praises still than you give yourself credit for.
Post a Comment