CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 21, 2008

blunt confessions

I can remember a time when there wasn't anyone closer to me than my family - we knew each other, trusted each other and loved each other unconditionally. It doesn't seem like that long ago, but it's amazing how time has changed us.
I just got off the phone with my oldest sister. She called to say that she regrets that time has gotten the best of our relationship and how she wants us to be closer. In all reality, there isn't anything I'd like more than to have a greater relationship with my siblings. But truth be told, since I came out, there have been a two relationships (with my sisters) that have seemed to have completely diminished and one relationship (with my brother) that has been strengthened greatly.
But back to my sister and our conversation. It began sweet but slowly our masks came off and the underlying issues began to surface. It seems like all the classic arguments were there - comparing homosexuality to an addiction ("Could you say you wouldn't love someone if they were addicted to drugs? No, you love the person, but you don't need to love what they do") to blunt confessions ("I've learned for myself that that lifestyle isn't right" and "I'll never accept that lifestyle"). The conversation lasted about 45 minuted and for a major portion of this, I listened and I said next to nothing. Completely characteristic of me - But how can I say anything at all to someone I honestly love so much who is showing me a complete lack of understanding and a strong sense of ignorance of who I am and the beautiful relationship I'm in? I was dumbstruck. Even now as I write this blog, I am completely numb from the conversation. I've never felt more unaccepted or felt such a conditional sense of love. And yet, I know that she still loves me... It's so bizarre.
I feel so appalled and hurt, yet I feel such gratitude and appreciation for the honesty. Maybe this is the reality I'm going to have to face - my family isn't the closest thing to me in my life. Maybe I should pay more focus to the present instead of reflecting on the great relationships of yesteryear. Maybe this conversation was the catalyst to help me realize the great relationships I do have.
But still, through it all, my love and even a sense of loyalty belongs to my family - I'm not sure where to really go from here.

0 comments: