CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

At least we're all Christian.

It's been a while since I've blogged - mainly for the fact that I've been bombarded by work. The service industry definitely doesn't rest during the holiday and my company was no exception. But along with that, reflecting on this past month, I've never felt more involved in the season. My last blog was not the most optimistic in regard to the holiday, but it's truly been a great season. When Scott and I weren't working and we found time to actually be together, we made the most of it. We decorated a tree, hung garland, stockings and a wreath, attended Christmas parties, baked cookies... we definitely made the yuletide gay. Everything was fabulous. We also didn't wait to give each other our gifts - we basically gave them as soon as we bought them. There wasn't unnecessary expectation or anticipation - it made everything more spontaneous and unexpected, which was actually a great change.

Scott then left for home on Thursday, leaving me and the cats at home. I made the most of my time working and finishing up gifts/projects for Christmas. So while I write this, I'm alone on Christmas. But I'm really not... if that makes any sense. It's very different not having anyone to be with on Christmas and being apart from the one you love. While I would love to be with him right now, I really feel that we've made the most of this season together.

It was also great being with my family on Christmas. Every year I try to give a gift that is more sentimental - I'm definitely not the 'stocking stuffer' type of guy. I don't see the point in getting a lot of random shit just to fill space. So I gave my family ornaments (a family tradition I've continued since my Grandma passed away) and pictures I've taken of them throughout the year. It was great to see their faces as they looked at those pictures and memories were sparked of little moments in the past. And another thing I've noticed with my family and this holiday is love. Sure it's cliché to say, but allow me to explain. I was at my brother's home this morning when his family was opening gifts and his face when his wife and kids opened their presents was priceless. It was also priceless to see my Jason and Dani open home-made gifts from their kids: A picture they drew, used markers and colored pencils, a Spider-man figurine - things that the kids loved that they wanted to give to their parents. It was adorable.

*sigh*

So much has changed and evolved - as life should. It's been interesting to have someone to be with and love. It's been interesting to have definitive bumps in a relationship and to be able to work through them. It's been interesting to see close friends fade out of my life and other friends seem to resurface. It's been interesting to stand up for myself and discover a new voice. It's been a great year.

Before I close out, I need to write a brief explanation on the title of this blog. We were having a work party and for some reason, religion came up in conversation (as it usually does in Utah - *deep sigh*) So they went around the room and asked what religion everyone was. It turned out to be mostly Mormon (surprise), a few Greek Orthodox, one Catholic - and then they got to me. I said "If I had to put a label on it, I'd say I'm agnostic." There was a brief pause, followed by one lady saying "At least we're all Christian."

It took all I had in me to hold my laughter back.



Happy Holidays everyone.

0 comments: