CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Reflection and Rand

I was making dinner tonight and I realized that I needed some things at the market down the street - so I walked there and picked up what I needed and started on my way home. Then something in side my mind just clicked on and said "You live in Chicago." You know how you make choices in life, but it doesn't really click until later? I just find it interesting that if I had never met Scott, I would never be experiencing this. 5 years ago, Chicago was simply one of many major cities in the U.S. that I had never been to... and now, I live here. It made me smile to think about and I'm proud of myself (and Scott) that we have made the choice to be here. Sure there have been some struggles getting started - but I really feel some good things are going to happen soon.

In other news, I have been reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand while riding the train to and from work. I love Ayn Rand's style. I read Anthem and nearly cried - and I am very much into this book as well. I am the type of person who reads books and underlines poignant phrases or sentences that stick out to me. Blame it on the fact that I was once a missionary who highlighted his scriptures heavily whenever I felt prompted to (which resulted in a very colorful set of scriptures) but here are some of the lines of Atlas Shrugged that has stuck out to me recently.

"He decided that pain was not a valid reason for stopping"

"Words were a lens to focus one's mind..."

"If joy is the aim and the core of existence, she thought, as if that which has the power to give one joy is always guarded as one's deepest secret, then they had seen each other naked in that moment."

"'Francisco, what's the most depraved type of human being?'
'The man without purpose.'"

"No matter how good you are, I'll expect you to wring everything you've got, trying to be still better. and when you've work yourself out to reach a goal, I'll expect you to start for another"

*Sigh* Now that I have time in between home and work, I've rediscovered my love for reading.That being said, once I'm done with Atlas Shrugged (which may take a little bit, being it is 1069 pages...) I'd like to read some of your favorites. So, please, leave a comment for me with your favorite books of all time and why you like them so much.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

I will think about the books I'd have you read. For a lighter but yet still poignant author, go with Tom Robbins or Kurt Vonnegut. I know there are a million books I'd have you read, but my mind is blank right now. :(

Unknown said...

I love paulo coehlo's stuff (may have spelled his name wrong) The Alchemist is a great read. You need the one with the prologue. By the River Piedra and Fifth Mountain are also good. The Alchemist though, that was inspiring.

Zanzi & Buzz said...

The Chosen by Chaim Potok. Amazing, powerful, and I think so powerful particularly if you've grown up with religion deeply engrained in your family. I love it, it's my current favorite, but they always change.