CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Bah Humbug

I am already sick of Christmas.

Mainly for a few specific reasons. First off, shopping. Where did it become tradition for people to spend large amounts of time and money in pursuit of gifts for people? I decided that I needed to get out of the apartment yesterday and ended up at Target. The parking lot was full which I considered a bad sign, but I continued on. When I was inside the store, I was walking down the main aisle near the checkout stands and I felt like T.V. Carpio in 'Across The Universe' when she is singing her opening number. In the movie, she is walking calmly through a football practice, singing this slow, touching song and all around her are these monster football players demolishing each other... Now, I wasn't singing a touching song - I'd say I was more appalled by the sight of everyone around me. The store was literally in shambles and I left without purchasing (or desiring) anything. I was really upset by the whole situation - mainly because I can't stand the idea of a sincere holiday season being uprooted by commercialism and consumerism. My boyfriend and I decided recently that we would only get two gifts this season - one need and one want. I thought it was pretty wise of us, simply because it kept us away from getting too involved with getting a lot of junk and would help us focus more on the 'spirit' of the season. After being out yesterday though, I'm getting the feeling if I need something, I'll just get it and not wait for a holiday. And if I want something, I'll just save up for it and get it eventually.

The second thing about Christmas - songs about Jesus. In the words of my boyfriend, "You can't take Christ out of Christmas music". Right. Have you really thought about it though? If you are a Christian and you are reading this, consider the sincere, loving, self-less individual that Jesus was. (I'm personally not Christian, but I love studying religion and I admire the words and acts of Jesus) Now, knowing the kind of man he is, do you think he'd really want to hear these songs glorifying him and his birth? In the Bible, he never wanted praise, but instead felt all praise should be given to his Father. I personally believe that he wouldn't want as much attention given to his birth (even if the miraculous immaculate conception and birth were true) and instead want the attention given to listening and applying his teachings. But - that's just me.

0 comments: