Can't believe it's already been a week - Time sure does fly. This one will be a quick one, but more or less, an update. I wrote last week that I did end up getting a job at Zed451... yes, it didn't meet my expectations financially, but after a week of work, I can honestly say that this job is something I needed. Beside the fact that I feel really good about being there (let's be honest - trusting ones intuitions and feelings is probably the best thing anyone can ever do) - so that, in itself, has made working there that much better. Secondly, I think I got a little too caught up in the magical world of cakes while in Utah and got a bit rusty on my pastry skills - Nothing more humbling than being asked to make pate a choux, biscotti, marshmallows, and creme brulee base (all from scratch and all to be started and completed within a few hours) when I haven't done it for a few years. Good times. But I can say that I make a mean eclair now after a few days of practicing and getting it right. :)
So, I feel good about working. I like working - what is it that people say about idle hands? I don't remember - but I get bored very easily when I'm not occupying my time with work. Bless Scott's heart for having to entertain me for the past 3 weeks. :) Things are finally starting to pick up... we're getting into a routine now - this week especially since Scott is starting his school - doing tests and getting classes ready and me having a 40-hour work week. Since I need to have a little more flow coming in, I'm still looking for part-time work... something more simple and possibly retail... If you guys have any suggestions on where I should I apply, let me know. I'm up for anything. I'm thinking Crate and Barrel or Sur La Table... you know, somewhere that I can get a decent discount for items I need for my kitchen. :)
Anyway, tonight Scott had an orientation at school, which left me home alone for the first night since we moved here... which left me free to blast Ani Difranco, Jude and Janet Jackson from the stereo (some of my FAVORITE artists of all time that Scott can't stand) and I painted a picture.
A little background... I started this project in Salt Lake City about a week before we left. As I was packing things away, I found a folder with dozens and dozens of poems that I had written while I was on my LDS mission and the few months following. At the time, writing poetry was literally the only outlet I had, so most all of these poems were either horribly depressing or riddled with metaphors and symbolism for the sake of...well, being symbolic and metaphorical... but to the point that I can't even look at these poems with out getting a huge pit in my stomach and being instantly transported emotionally to the past. So... what did I do? I cut out a phrase or a word from each of the poems and pasted them to a blank canvas. I vowed to myself when I was feeling optimistic and artistic, I'd finish the project. Well, weeks later, here I was with a free night to myself and a canvas filled with past emotion. So... with my music blaring, I painted the entire canvas black and decided to do this painting with a chakra theme. So, I slit 7 lines in the canvas and painted each slit a color coordinating with each of the chakras. I will take a picture of this tomorrow and post it - I am actually quite proud of this.
Anyway, this didn't end up being short at all... See what happens when I get going?
Sunday, August 24, 2008
Work and Play
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
Hooray! I'm so excited to taste your new creations and see your new paintings!
I'm glad you're adjusting. Think about it, it's only going to get better from here!
Post a Comment