I'm caught in one of the most difficult situations I think I've been faced with for a while... As many of you may already know, Scott and I were planning on moving near the end of this summer. Scott had applied and auditioned to various schools for his graduate program and, gratefully, was accepted into many of those schools. The best offers he got were both in Chicago at DePaul University and Roosevelt University. Through some tough decision on his part, he chose to accept Roosevelt University's offer... so moving and plans for relocating our lives are in the works.
I've been planning on this move for a while. I always felt if I was going to get some adequate experience and actually be successful in my field, I'd need to go to a larger city. Salt Lake City, sadly, is a little behind in the times as far as appreciation for culinary arts is concerned. People here, as a whole, aren't willing to pay good money for incredible culinary work and to get ahead in my field, I'll need to go elsewhere. Chicago is ideal. There are many incredible places to find work and with a large city like that, getting some of the experience I'm looking for wouldn't be a large issue. And most importantly, I'd be with Scott. It would be an exciting new time in our lives and in our relationship to be in a new city.
There is only one thing that is holding me back... Sadie.
I'm trying to believe in miracles and I pray that her condition will change - but the more research I find about her condition, the more reality takes over and damages my faith. And for that reason, I find it hard to consider leaving my family during this fragile time. I've said this before on my blog, but I feel that my family and I have a very unique bond - we rely on each other during difficult times. And I think part of me would almost need to be near, not only for their sakes, but for mine in the event of Sadie's passing. I keep thinking of moving to a new city and experiencing a new life and then getting a call - across the country - telling me that my niece has passed away. I don't know if I'd be able to handle it.
I keep thinking of experiences I've had with death... and how I've been heavily involved, yet, for one reason or another, have been distanced from it. My dad, for instance - I was only 4 years old... His passing played a dramatic role in my life, simply because I didn't understand it at the time and it took me years afterward to finally get a grip on the reality of the situation. Then I think of my grandma, who passed away when I was on my mission. I can still remember attempting to be optimistic in my letters, saying things like 'When get home, you and I will have to do this" or "After I get back, you'll have to tell me all about it" - knowing that her condition was getting worse. She actually passed away a few months before I returned home... I had to lament her passing hundreds of miles away.
And maybe that is where I have the most problem with this situation. I feel like I'm leaving a situation I have no control over... It feels like I'm closing my eyes during a scary movie - attempting to miss the worst moment of the movie with my own eyes, knowing that it's happening - and taking my hands off my eyes and dealing with the rest of the movie. Am I hiding from my own fears?
But is it right to put my life on hold with the idea that I'm waiting for another life to end? It almost seems contradictory and in a way, disturbing.
All I know is that I know my family wants me to stay, but understands if I'd leave. I also know that Scott wants me to go, but understands if I'd stay. This is one of those decisions I know I have to make for me - but I pray that I make the choice I won't look back on and regret.
Monday, April 21, 2008
Hardest Decision
Posted by Nik at 1:52 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
Nik-
Hey- this is Jenn Rasmussen Rose. How are you? I hope you don't mind that I found your blog- I went to Mandy's from Angie's and I found yours. I am so sorry about your niece Sadie. We'll keep her in our prayers too. Good luck with your decision to move. That is so hard. Anyway, I hope you are doing well. Keep in touch.
--Jenn
Post a Comment