It will be my 25th birthday in ten minutes. I guess there’s something that is anticipating this day more than any of my previous birthdays - I’ve let go of expectations of people recognizing that it is my birthday and I don’t really want or need anything. So what I’m left with is my thoughts and my personal opinion that I should celebrate my own life by reflection of where I’ve been and contemplating on my expectations for the future. I think 25 is a very good age for that… For someone who is a quarter-century old, I think I’m at a good spot to know, at the very least, who I’m not - and as a result, I can more clearly define who I am and what I expect out of life.
It’s 12:00 - Happy Birthday me.
I believe that everyone has a brilliant biography that contains thousands of stories and lessons learned and no one will ever hear it. My story is no exception - there are people in my life who know many aspects of who I am and where I’ve been… But no one who knows everything except me. And my story is brilliant and beautiful. Tragic and compelling. Filled with compassion and sincere love. But I can honestly say that I’ve spent more time over these past 25 years looking back than I have been looking forward. I’ve always seemed to reflect on the past and dwell there - learning as much as I could about why it happened and what was the lesson to be learned. And I think that is a great thing, to a point.
So I am planning for this next year (and for the twenty-five years after) to continue to learn lifes little lessons, but to spend more time looking forward than looking back.
So - here's a toast to being 25 and a work in progress...
Thursday, June 26, 2008
25
Posted by Nik at 12:36 AM
Labels: birthday, reflection
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Happy Birthday!!! May you have everything you deserve...love, good fortune, good friends, and good drinks! Lots of love.
I know I'm a bit late and all that, but Happy Birthday, in a belated sort of way. Weren't we going to help you celebrate it? Perhaps we still can, in a belated sort of way.
Regardless, enjoy 25 (you'll relish it when its gone. Actually I don't feel much different at 26, perhaps just a little more lame) and let's get together for brunch soon.
Happy late birthday Nick. I hope you had a wonderful day. Love you.
Post a Comment